Monday, March 24, 2008

Casualty of self-depreciation


solitude (n) - The state of being or living alone, solitariness. Later also, absence of life or disturbance.

loneliness (n) - The condition of being alone or solitary; isolation.
---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.


Do these two words mean the same?
I believe there's a difference between the two which, although subtle, is actually gargantuan. While solitude indicates a state of contentment and future hopefulness, loneliness on the other hand has an undertone of gloom attached to it. Loneliness is undesired at any point in time whereas solitude can be ever so refreshing and welcome at some point in time.

You must be wondering why am I giving English lessons over this space. The thought I want to put across is that although solitude is welcome and refreshing it generally leads to loneliness. It's something that I've encountered in my life and it happens when the line differentiating the two gets somewhat smudged. You might console yourself by calling it solitude when it's not so and thereby be hesitant to shake off the slumber. This leads to discontentment and disillusionment towards life and consequently to indifference towards the people you love. Trust me it's not the state you'd want to be in. Even if you feel you can handle it, think again, because its not only you who gets affected. Your gloomy face can be the reason for someone else's melancholy. I know its not easy to smile at the face of adversity but then life ain't easy, is it!

My solitude had given way to loneliness long before I could realize. The serenity that I used to enjoy suddenly came to haunt me. The din of silence would now echo in me - "me" because I've long lost sense of my senses. The numbness attached with victory bore me. Excitement is a passe. I am lonely.

0 comments: